Sunday, January 5, 2014

revised Reading Response on Independent Reading Book


After reading a good portion of the novel, I have personally enjoyed Persepolis. I have never read a novel in comic form before, so this is a new experience for me. However, I think that the comic feature, with the pictures and less text, allows the reader to capture more of the characters’ emotions. You can read the text and dialogue and then look at the picture to instill the image in your mind. I think this is the main reason that Marjane Satrapi chose to write the text this way. Persepolis is engaging to me for a number of reasons. One being that I have no prior knowledge to the background of the story, therefore I am learning about history as I read it. Also, I find the story of the little girl, Marjane, interesting because she is so young while all of this violence is going on, and I am interested to see how she and her parents handle that and deal with her growing up in such a time of violence and torture for so many people. One example of Marjane’s confusion about the world is on page 32 when she hears her elders laughing about cadaver, cancer, death, murderer. She then thinks that the appropriate response to these terms would be laughter. She realizes that she does not understand anything about the world and she then starts to read all the books she can. I just find this interesting that a girl so young would want to learn so much about the world and understand all she can. She basically is growing up much faster than a young child should have to grow up. For these reasons I am interested to read the rest of the book and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment